This July and August we encourage you to Feed Your Mind with our summer learning program. No matter your age, read and take part in activities that encourage exploration and learning in a way that is unique to YOU—and earn the chance to win great prizes along the way!
June 15 – August 19
Registration will begin on May 30th. When registering, you will be asked to create a username and password to access your summer reading account. Please ask at the children’s desk if you have any questions or have trouble setting up your account.
You may begin logging books on June 15th. The last day to log your reading is August 19th.
For students entering grades K-6:
- To complete the program and earn a FREE book from the Wallingford Public Library’s Book Seller, you need to read 600 minutes this summer.
- If you finish early, keep going! By reading 1200 minutes before the program officially ends on August 19th, you will earn a chance to win one of our Grand Prizes.
- For added fun, beginning Monday, July 3rd there will be missions to complete at the library. Complete missions to learn ingredients for a mystery dish. Solve the puzzle for an extra chance at a Grand Prize!
For babies, toddlers, and preschoolers:
- Spend time reading as a family! For every five books your family reads together, you will earn a strawberry to add to our berry patch and be entered into a drawing for a gift basket. You may read the same book more than once – we know that’s how many preschoolers enjoy their favorite books.
- For added fun, for every 5 books you read (up to 30 books), stop by the library for a scrumptious scavenger hunt. Search around the tree for hidden pictures and earn a sticker for finding them all!
NOTE: Children entering Kindergarten can participate in either program.
July 3 – August 19
This summer Feed Your Mind with new reads, creative experiences, and of course food! As always, anything you read will earn you a prize entry. But this summer you can also complete tasks that let you Feed Your Mind to earn prize entries. You can even participate in a food drive to benefit Master’s Manna, it will be teens and adults vs children to see who can donate the most! Open to all entering grades 6-12.
July 3 – August 19
We are very excited to announce the fourth annual Collaboratory Summer Program, “Some Assembly Required,” which begins on July 3rd. The program is a maker contest consisting of multiple categories with one grand prize. For 2023, we’re connecting to the library’s summer reading theme: Feed Your Mind. The categories this year are:
- Best-Looking Baked Food
- Best-Looking Cooked Food
- Best-Looking Fake Food
- B&W Photography
- Color Photography
- Textile Arts
Submissions will be made by email and will be collected July 3rd through July 31st. A winner from each field will be chosen through voting via the library’s social media. Votes will be collected from August 1st through August 19th, and the winners will be announced the following Monday, August 21st. In the event of a tie, Collaboratory staff will be the tie breakers.
The winners of each category will receive a special laser cut prize and a $25 gift card to the Wallingford business of their choice. The project that receives the most votes overall will receive the grand prize: a Collaboratory-made trophy along with a $100 gift card to the Wallingford business of their choice. We can’t wait to see what you cook up!
July 3 – August 19
This summer WPL invites adults to take part in Feed Your Mind, a summer program for adults. Earn buttons and the chance to win great prizes by taking part in activities that encourage you to feed your mind. Participation is easy and fun, and the best part is that you can do it your way!
Feed Your Mind Food Collection Challenge
Did you know 1 in 9 teens and children in CT don’t have enough food? That’s according to FeedingAmerica.org, whose research also estimates 12% of people in New Haven county alone struggle with food insecurity. So this summer, the Wallingford Library is hosting a food drive for Master’s Manna because we know it can be hard to Feed Your Mind when you don’t have enough to eat. Master’s Manna is a Wallingford nonprofit that provides food and other services to those in need. Donations will be accepted in bins at the top of the stairs all throughout summer reading.
Teens and adults will compete against the children’s room to see who can donate the most food! While you won’t get a prize entry for donating food, you can be assured that you’re feeding your own mind and the mind of someone else in our community.